Dynamic Catholics

matthewkelly

I’ve been working on this book for a while (I haven’t had a lot of time to read lately) but it is one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

I would highly recommend this book to ALL Catholics.  It is the most encouraging evangelization book/tool that I’ve come across so far.  It talks about the potential to completely change the world by getting 1% more of Catholics today to be engaged in the faith community.  He talks about the four signs of what he calls “Dynamic Catholics.”  These are prayer, study, generosity, and evangelization.  This book has presented a lot of new ideas to me as well as revealing some facts that I had never heard before.  Here are a few to give you an idea:

1.  Only 6.8% of registered parishioners contribute 80% of financial support in the parish.

2.  Another 6.4% of parishioners volunteer 80% of the service hours in their parish.

3.  Matthew Kelly says that this 7% is significantly more likely to invite someone to Mass or a Catholic activity than the other 93% of Catholics

4.  On average, the 7% spend fourteen minutes a day learning about the faith

5.  The 7% has a “position of humility” meaning “if they disagree with a Church teaching, they approach the issue this way: ‘Why does the Church reach what she teaches?  It is unlikely that I know better than two thousand years of the best Catholic theologians and philosophers.  What am I missing?'”

These statistics and his inspirational writing along with his suggestions to become a more highly engaged Catholic, really encourage me.  One paragraph that really struck me was,

If just 7 percent of Catholics are accomplishing more than 80 percent of what we are doing today, imagine what 14 percent could do.  Not to mention what 21 percent or 35 percent could accomplish.  Our potential is incredible.  We literally have the power to change the world.  The Catholic Church is a sleeping giant.

As I said before, I highly recommend this book.  It is easy to read, interesting, encouraging, positive, has wonderful suggestions, and is written in a captivating way.

Also, his website: http://dynamiccatholic.com/

I encourage you to all take a step today toward becoming a Dynamic Catholic.  Whether this means deepening your prayer life, learning a little more about the faith, giving more to the Church (financially or maybe giving your time), and sharing the gift of the faith with someone else.

-Courtney C. Filomena Lee

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s